With the impact of the modernization and changing need of the society, there is a curving trend of the high-rise buildings in India. The objective is not only restricted to the residential purpose but extended to the business, communities, and already sets. From the last decade, there is a tremendous growth in the real estate industry and now the fully occupied high-rise or multiplex buildings can be witnessed in urban cities of India.
The buildings above 15 meters are called as high-rise buildings that are in the form of malls, hospital, apartments, and multiplexes. Unfortunately, some major accidents had taken place in such buildings which are whistleblowers to stand for the accident-free ecosystem. To ensure safety, the Government has provided provision to armour with the latest Right to Information rules. There are also amendments in the factories act 1948 that prescribes provisions related to the hazardous course of action. consequently, all types of high-rise buildings should have Fire Clearance Certificate or FIRE NOC.
What Is FIRE NOC or Fire Clarification Certificate?
FIRE NOC or Fire clearance certificate is a No Objection Certificate suggesting that the building is designed as per the norms and regulations that a high-rise building must have to avoid any hazardous accidents. It is issued by the Fire department of the respective state before the building construction. The Building authority applies to the FIRE NOC before the construction with enclosing the appropriate building plan. The building plan should have complete details, including structure, a design of the staircase, electrical strength supply, lift design, open space, Fire exit, raw material, design and additionally it should have provision for:
1. Fire safety measures, Fire extinguishers and Fire evacuation measures that are going to be incorporated in the building.
2. Minimizing the spread and intensity of Fire within the building and any other building.
3. Controlling the generation or spread of smoke to the possible extent.
4. The implementation of the device that can detect the Fire and can warn the occupants or user.
5. Immediate access to the device to control the rising Fire.
6. The design should be designed by the registered architect.
FIRE NOC for Hospitals:
The government provided complete instruction in ‘part 4’ of the National Building code of India-2005, “Fire and life safety” for the Fire prevention and Fire safety of the hospital building. A hospital building plan should inculcate the following Hospital Engineering Service Provision for the Fire precaution as per the NABH (National Accreditation Board for Hospitals & Healthcare Providers).
NABH provisions for the Fire precautions in the Hospital:
• There must be an approval for the installation of the Firefighting devices.
• Easy access to the control room location.
• Control panel needs to get connected with Fire detection or alarm system.
• Availability of the Pump rooms including electrical in addition as the diesel room.
• Arrangements for filing Fire Tenders.
• In case of emergency, there must be a 4-way Fire inlet.
• Forced Ventilation
• Easy access to Fire Resistant tanks
• Fire Drill should be performed.
• Proper availability of yard hydrants and landing hydrants and should be on strategic location.
• 2 ways Fire heads.
• Hose Reels and Landing Hydrants
• Wet Riser system
• First Aid equipment should be in working condition.
• There should be a provision of an escape route and emergency exit.
• An automatic device for the smoke or heat detectors.
• Fire alarm system and Fire extinguishers
Regulations as per National Building Code 2005:
1. All high- rise building must have Fire NOC as per the zoning regulations of the respective jurisdiction.
2. The Road should be more than 12 meters wide especially hydraulic platform and the turntable ladder.
3. Entrance size should not be less than 6 meters or 5 meters.
4. Minimum 40% of the users or occupants should be trained to perform the proper operations of the Fire safety devices or evacuation system.
5. There should be proper open space and emergency exit stairs on the external wall of the building in addition to the regular stairs.
6. It should be enclosed with smoke-stop-swing-doors of two-hour Fire resistance on the exit to the lobby.
How to Apply for a Fire Clearance Certificate:
The preformatted application form along with the business plan and documents have to submit to the FIRE Service Department of the respective state. The application should be properly sealed and signed by the empowered civil engineer or authority. It should include complete site address and the all above-mentioned provisions in the business plan in addition as documents. Nowadays, many states are accepting online application forms but the enclosures will be the same. the time of action of issuing Fire NOC is exempted from the fees.
1. 2 sets of building plans empowered by the Building Authority.
2. form of the building.
3. Complete drawing of the building and surroundings.
4. Complete building plan with the above mentioned mandatory details.
5. The checklist should be certified by the authority.
Time Period Required for Issuing of FIRE NOC:
If the application is properly filled up with the accurate business plan, it typically takes 4 weeks to issue the Fire Clearance Certificate from the Fire Service Department.
Does Fire NOC Have Validity?
Under Rule 35, Fire NOC is valid for 5 years for residential buildings and 3 years for the nonresidential buildings.
It is highly recommended for all users to strictly follow provisions and procedures not only in the paper but nearly. Fire safety and precaution is one of the important factors which are concerning everyone in the hospital industry. The main aim of the Fire safety design is to ensure the life safety, continue functioning and proper protection.
observe: List of documents and course of action may vary as per the state norms.