The ‘Website’ CHECKLIST : Domains, Hosting, Web Design
This article is meant to all who already have a website or who propose to buy it. Website – the term comprises three things : Domain, Hosting (Web space) & Web Design
There are numerous company offering these sets. I am here to discuss few points with regards to top and basic things you need to have a thorough check when you get a WEBSITE by one of these companies.
Now to the article,
Every day, I get few phone calls of this sort :
- Sir, My domain expires in next few days, but the company which registered it is out of business, Please revive it”
- Sir, I want to move the domain to your server but I don’t have the domain control panel”
- Dear sustain Team, The domain is registered by ‘X’ and his name is listed as REGISTRANT and Admin Contact, help me”
- I have a website since 1998 but I am not getting any enquiries by it. So what’s the point in having it renewed ? ”
- My website is down most of the time, can you do anything on it? ”
If you look at the above, you could observe the shared problem. consequently, a checklist is required for any WEBSITE. Lets see one by one :
Domain NAME Registration : CHECKLIST
Once your domain is registered, check these things :
- Is the DOMAIN NAME Registered with an ICANN Accredited Registrar ? (Visit : http://www.icann.org)
- Does the REGISTRANT NAME and ADMINSTRATIVE CONTACT show your name/email ?
- Did the Domain Registration Service Provider give you the Domain CONTROL PANEL with username / password to manage/modify name servers & contact details in real-time ?
- Do you have the OPTION to get REMINDERS at the time of RENEWAL, well in improvement ?
Web Hosting (Web space) : CHECKLIST
- sustain, sustain, sustain – is the meaningful issue when it comes to Hosting. Check the response time of the Service Provider before making an option.
- How skilled the technical persons are ? Just put in few queries and see how they respond ?
- Get a quick look at the Service Provider Website and make sure its specialized looking with user friendly navigation and layout.
- Check if they have listed TESTIMONIALS, list of sites hosted with them, discount options for bulk buy, payment modes. Also make sure there are NO Hidden charges. The meaningful part to look is : the BANDWIDTH offered for each hosting plan.
- Multiple Domains in single hosting space. This is an additional advantage and saves your money. You can ask for this option if not provided.
- Make a thorough study on the Hosting Plan you choose. Check all the basic features are provided. To name a few, POP3 mails, SMTP sustain, FTP Account, Control Panel, Web mail, Spam Controller, Antivirus, Web Statistics.
Website Design : CHECKLIST
- Does the website designer provide you with free minor updates or for a moderate fee on a yearly contract basis ?
- Is the website specialized looking and appeals to the global audience ?
- It has been 3 months since your set afloat and there is NO fruitful enquiries and you are UPSET. Wait…..go to : www.google.com and put your website name and click search. Does it show up anywhere in the results ?
- Does the website designer provided you with monitoring service ?
- Does the website take lot of time to load. Make sure it loads faster already on slow connections. Too much of Flashy animations, bigger size jpegs are NOT an option for your site. CONTENT is the King. Make sure your website ‘delivers’.
The above is just a tip of the iceberg. I have compiled the most basic facts of a WEBSITE Registration, Hosting and Web Design.