The Top 8 Ways to Get Rid of a Skunk
Skunks can be problematic mostly because of the horrible odor. For some, it’s so bad it’s nauseating. If you have a skunk in and around you yard, you will want to get rid of it.
Like many pest problems, you need to start figuring out what attracted the skunk to your yard in the first place. There are many things you can do to stop this allurement and keep the skunks away. Here are the best ways to keep skunks from coming around your character.
1. Clean up fallen fruits, nuts, and berries off the ground. These can be an attractive food source for skunks and other pests if you don’t.
2. Get rid of your leaf piles. There are insects in these that skunks will come to your yard to eat.
3. Seal up your garbage cans. Be sure that there is a lid and seal on these. Skunks and other pests find food in your garbage, so do your best to keep them out.
4. Avoid leaving out pet food that can be accessed by skunks or other animals.
5. Protect your compost bins from being tampered with. Keeping lids on these or at the minimum a few inches of cover will work best to keep the skunks out.
6. Use a flood light. Motion sensor products are one of the better ways of getting rid of a skunk in the yard and a flood light is very effective. Skunks do not like being exposed in the light. This will deter them away to another area that is darker.
7. Use a sprinkler as another motion sensor device. This will send a gentle burst of water which will scare the skunk. After awhile the skunk should get the message.
8. Get some pepper sprays as this will ward off skunks and other pests. Be sure to reapply them especially after a heavy rain. There are also skunk repellents that you can buy. It’s best to use repellents that mimic a skunk’s predators. This will intimidate skunks and help keep them away.