Factors Affecting the Selection of Techniques for Ground Improvement
The broadest meaning of ground improvement is the change in any character of a rock or soil for improving the engineering performance. This can be either long-lasting measure or a permanent one for making the improvement in the soil.
There are many techniques for improving ground and for enhancing the strength, reducing permeability, reducing compressibility or altering condition of ground water. In addition, if there is some problematic situation in the foundation of the pre-existing structures, then there can be use of a foundation treatment namely, in-place, for the rehabilitation of the structure. Different techniques involved for the attainment of the improvement facilities are referred as geotechnical processes.
One can classify ground improvement techniques based on materials used, character of involvement of course of action and the desired results. There are many techniques for improvement of ground such as compaction, vertical drains and precompression, drainage methods, vibration methods, injection and grouting, chemical stabilization and cementing geosynthetics and several other miscellaneous methods.
Following are the factors that you need to consider while selection of the best method or technique:
1. kind of soil: As the kind of soil varies, the methods for improving it change. for example, the best improvement technique for a clay soil may be different from that of organic soil.
2. Load dispensing and structure kind also affect the selection of the best technique.
3. similarities of the soil such as compressible, permeable, strength and many other similar similarities affect the decision.
4. Availability of the equipments and skills play major role in the selection.
5. Economics play vital role in the selection too
6. Environmental conditions such as erosion, water pollution and waste disposal play their roles in large amount of the purpose.
Considering these factors can surely help in attaining the desirable technique for ground improvement.